Thursday, February 20, 2014

Read This: Prodigy

Prodigy
by Marie Lu

The Goodreads Summary Says:
Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

I Say:
5 stars
Gah! this book. I really, really enjoyed Prodigy. I thought the pacing was great, and there was a nice balance of action and intrigue. I loved the characters, and how distinct the two points of view were. Day and June spend most of the book separated from each other, trying to figure out who to trust and what the best thing to do is. I loved to watch them struggle and reason and play different roles. Not everything in the plot is unique (a lot of elements reminded me of Mockingjay or Ally Condie's Reached), and occasionally it was hard to believe June or Day would be as influential as they are in the story. But those were easy to overlook because I was so invested in the story.

I usually hate a love triangle (and there's no triangle here), but I loved what Lu did with the romance aspect. While June and Day are apart, they each interact with other characters who might technically be better matches for them. I loved (and hated) seeing June and Day each think seriously about if their relationship really was best for themselves and the other person. I like when characters have options. Although, of course, I want June and Day together.

And then the ending! I'm happy I had Champion sitting right on the shelf to pick up. I couldn't imagine having to wait a year after finishing Prodigy.


The Big Three:
Language: one or two swear words
Sex and Stuff: some making out
Violence: shooting and fist fighting and a few deaths, but nothing explicit

12 comments:

  1. I just love Day. He's just a great character with swagger and vulnerability both. She (the author) puts him through so much! And he's so strong to deal with it all. Yeah, I pretty much love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Day is great. I felt so bad for him at the end of Prodigy. And I may have skipped to the end of Champion !!!

      Delete
  2. I need to read this series. Everyone raves about it but I just haven't gotten my hands on it. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super slow on it, too. I don't even think I heard about it until after the last one was out.

      Delete
  3. How cool! I love when a love triangle never materializes. I also love when you can point to specific reasons that two characters choose to be with each other and the fact that the characters are conflicted about their relationship seems like it could lead to some spelling out of their reasons for staying together. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love a realistic relationship, no matter what genre I'm reading. :)

      Delete
  4. I love how complex Day and June's relationship is! I can't wait to see what you think of Champion! OH THE EMOTIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I felt like the beginning was a little slow so I skipped to the end of Champion (because I don't care about spoilers). Now I don't know if I want to go back and read the middle!

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to read "Legend" pretty much since it came out, but I've struggled to find the motivation. Knowing that the second book is so good is pretty good motivation though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for some reason I decided I wouldn't care for the series but then I kept seeing people say how good it was. So add me to the list of pushers. :)

      Delete
  6. I am so glad I didn't have to wait for this series to be finished either. By the time I read it all the book were pretty much out. I only had to wait a little bit for Champion to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! I haven't read this series yet, but I'm glad it continues to be good for you. Whew, it's good that there's no triangle, but that the romance is still good and a bit complex. Great review!

    ReplyDelete